I used the 10-K form, Social Mention, EDGAR (U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission) and Google Finance to write a research paper about a public company. Here’s the summary:
Evergy is a multimillion-dollar transmission and utility company headquartered in Kansas City, Missouri, according to Evergy’s 10-K form.
- Evergy made more than $260 million between 2020 and 2021.
- Evergy lists three risk types: environmental, financial and regulatory.
- There is media criticism of coal plants and extravagant spending in capital investments. Evergy still portrays itself as an innovative company.
- Evergy’s net income was about $890 in 2021, according to Evergy’s 10-K form. The company made more than $260 million between 2020 and 2021.
- Evergy’s stock price is about $70 as of May 4 and has increased significantly since 2021, according to Google Finance.
- Elliott Management, an activist investor and a major shareholder at Evergy, is pushing for $10 billion investments that help sustainability, according to the LJ World. The KCC expressed concerns about the major capital expenditures and their impact on consumer prices.
According to Evergy’s 10-K form, the company faces three risk factors:
- Investment risks: financial gains may not cover capital expenditures.
- Environmental risks: costs for complying with environmental regulations are too high and may impact the company’s operations.
- Regulatory risks: “FERC, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and SPP have implemented and enforce an extensive set of transmission system reliability, cybersecurity and critical infrastructure protection standards that apply to public utilities.”
News & Media
- •Sierra club criticized Evergy for its coal plants’ negative impact on customers, according to a Kansas Reflector article.
- Evergy coal plants are linked to more than around 20 deaths and 100 asthma cases, according to a Kansas Reflector article.
- Evergy is investing $10.4 billion in capital expenditures between 2021 and 2025, according to an LJ World article.
- Evergy’s website: “We’re focused on moving energy forward, offering innovative solutions and providing reliable and safe energy to you.”•Evergy has a 4:1 positive sentiment on social media, according to social mention.